Chickenguard Advice

placidsheep

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2019
Wales, UK
I think I already know the answer but speaking to the wife the other night she has totally confused me if I am honest.

Basically we have a chickenguard which is working off a timer. Cant use the lux sensor as the actual chickenguard unit is under a covered roof so closes too early. Anyway its fast approaching that the clocks have to go back for us in October and I am wondering if this will affect the door closing.

Basically we go away for the weekend on the Friday and I was confident that the chickenguard wont know that the daylight hours have changed and as such the door opening and closing will be the exact same time as they where on us leaving on Friday?

So am I right in thinking the timing will be still in line with sunset and sunrise?

I know this might seem a little crazy but I just wanted to check from other guard users.

Thanks

Yes, you are correct. Reboot your brain and leave the artificial device of the clock out of the equation. Sunset is your criteria for closure of the coop. If the door is set to close when the sun has set, the clocks can read 7am for all you should care. I guarantee your chickens sure don't.

Every fall around this time we get similar questions about chickens getting "confused" over daylight saving ending. The chickens aren't the ones confused. They are still able to tell when the sun has gone down and will go roost regardless of what you do to your clocks in the house.

I've been more fed up than usual this year over our ridiculous government mandated custom of setting clocks forward and backward that I've left most of my clocks alone. Some read what the custom is currently demanding while others don't. Curiously, I've been far less confused all summer over the time than if my clocks all obediently displayed the time demanded by this government decree.

And, in closing, chickens don't give a **** what a stupid clock says.

On a timer the door just closes as its programmed to, regardless of the "actual" time on a clock. Usually takes me a few days or even weeks to remember to reprogram the door to match what the clock says.

Thanks both. I was 100% sure I was right and I mentioned it to my wife expecting her to just confirm it but she suggested I was wrong. And was so convincing that I think I started to believe her.

Thank you again for putting my mind at ease.

I think I already know the answer but speaking to the wife the other night she has totally confused me if I am honest.

Basically we have a chickenguard which is working off a timer. Cant use the lux sensor as the actual chickenguard unit is under a covered roof so closes too early. Anyway its fast approaching that the clocks have to go back for us in October and I am wondering if this will affect the door closing.

Basically we go away for the weekend on the Friday and I was confident that the chickenguard wont know that the daylight hours have changed and as such the door opening and closing will be the exact same time as they where on us leaving on Friday?

So am I right in thinking the timing will be still in line with sunset and sunrise?

I know this might seem a little crazy but I just wanted to check from other guard users.

Thanks
I Have a tip for using the lux sensor. If you have or make a window in the coop you can adjust the lux. Open with lower lux and close with lower lux as standard.

Back
Top Bottom