Chickenlittle14

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickenlittle14, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Chickenlittle14

Chickenlittle14 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2014
    Sacramento, ca.
    Need to know how I go about clipping chicken wings so as not to fly. Our neighbor just gave us two chicks about 8 weeks old. Is it to soon to clip them, because they can fly pretty good and they can get through the cyclone fence so we made a pen to keep them in, or should we wait till they are a little older to clip?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I know not a lot about chickens that are little or big!!! Help!!!
    [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]
    Try posting in the Mnaging your flock section of the forum. Good luck!

3. Chickenlittle14

Chickenlittle14 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2014
    Sacramento, ca.
    Thank you![​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm to squeamish to even think about clipping wings. If you put "wing clipping," in the search box, I'm

sure information will pop up. If you keep them in a covered run they won't fly out and they will be protected from hawks, and some (climbing) predators. Put some 1/2" hardware cloth around the perimeter of the chain link fence, and they won't be able to go thru it - it will also prevent predators from reaching in and biting off any body parts they can reach.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Wing clipping does not always help keep them grounded. Sometimes they can still get lift. Sometimes it is better to trim one wing only so they don't have proper balance to fly. You will have to trim each time after a molt in the wings. Clipped feathers don't regrow, but newly molted feathers do.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by