1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickenlittle14

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenlittle14, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Chickenlittle14

Chickenlittle14 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2014
    Sacramento, ca.
    I have one chicken from the neighbors that wouldn't stay in there yard. After a month of putting her over the fence every other day we discovered the other chickens were abusing her and attacking her. The neighbor came over with her in his arms and said "here you keep her she's happier with you"! So this is how I got our first chicken.

Now the neighbor came over with two chicks about 8 wks. or so and gave them to us. They can fly pretty good and I know the big hen's wings are clipped but I don't know how to clip the chicks wings. And our neighbors don't speak English well.

So does anyone know how close the feathers should be clipped? I don't want to injure the new chicks. Any advice would be appreciated. This is all new to us. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Clipping the wing feathers of a young bird is a little bit risky, the growing feathers are more likely to have blood coursing through them, so you run the risk of clipping a blood feather and causing significant bleeding. The blood kind of flows down the shaft of the feather like a little bleeding pipe.

I would research blood feathers and how to deal with them before you consider clipping young ones wing feathers.

3. Chickenlittle14

Chickenlittle14 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2014
    Sacramento, ca.
    Ok! Thank you sooo much.

4. Nancy12

Nancy12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Good info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by