Chickenlover200's flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenLover200, Apr 6, 2016.

1. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    News and updates weekly :D

Feel free to ask any questions about me and my chickens!

How long have you owned chickens?
    I got my first chicks (12 Golden Sex Links and 4 Barred Rocks) in May/June 2012, so this will be my 4th year with chickens!

What made you decide to get chickens?
    Honestly, I never planned or wanted to have chickens. I alwyas thought chicks/chickens at the fair were cute, but never really cared to own any. One day in 2012, my dad says, "We're going to get some chickens!" "Oh no..." I thought. As soon as we got them though, I was hooked! Our first chicks were alreaady feathered out, so we didn't get to experience having very young chicks yet, but taking care of them, they had me hooked on chickens! Anyways, I ended up naming all the chickens, then we built our first coop to put them in.
    After several weeks of havign chickens, I was in need of having more chicks around. We bought 4 Silkies (unsexed) from a local breeder. We were lucky and ended up with 4 fluffy pullets. After that, we were buying chicks yearly!

Why do you keep/raise chickens?
    The main reason we started raising chickens was for the eggs, but they've all become pets too! It's so fun to watch and take pictures of my chickens... I just LOVE them.

~My Flock~

I'm only going to be sharing some pictures of my favorites for now.
    Here they are:

Breed: Golden Campine
    Name: not sure yet... I'm thinking possibly "Speckle"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breed: Lakenvelder
    Name: Cookies N' Cream (AKA Cookie)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breed: Silkie Bantam
    Name: Connie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breed: Silkie Bantam
    Name: Andie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breed: Black Sumatra
    Name: Cupcake (AKA "The Crow")
    [​IMG]

Breed: GSL (Golden Sex Link)
    Name: "Snappy" (Crooked Beak)
    Age: she was 2 years old when she died on Christmas Eve (2015 :hit )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Breed: Barred Plymouth Rock
    Name: Wings
    [​IMG]

Updates will be posted weekly!

1 person likes this.
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

What beautiful birds you've got there! [​IMG]It goes without saying that I'm partial to your handsome Campine roo. [​IMG] Is he spunky, hyper, and full of big-chicken attitude like the hens (ahem.....as in Alex?)?

Oh, and Sumatras are great birdies, too! My Bali has no qualms about talking your ear off at any time.

~Alex

3. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Oh My. My Campine rooster is so full of personality... One of the reasons I love my rare ones is because of their "rare" personalities.
    My Sumatra is so fun to watch... We just think she looks like Tonto's crow off the lone ranger movie.

4. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Awesome! I'm sorry about Snappy. Cookie is beautiful!

5. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Snappy was a special little hen... I loved watching the other chickens help her eat things like grass. I regret not videoing or taking a picture of that...

6. Alexandra33

I'm also very sorry about Snappy.....[​IMG]

Hey, neat, we both have Cookies! Only yours is an Oreo, and mine is more like a chocolate chip/peanut butter cookie. [​IMG] But seriously, I love Lakenvelders so much. Where did you get her?

~Alex

7. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    All my chickens (except for the Partridge Rocks, from TSC and the Silkies from a local breeder) came from a local tractor/farm store, Weldon Equipment. They had a rare breed assortment and had me pick 4 out of that bin. Cookie and crow looked alike as chicks so I picked both of them thinking they'd be the same breed... Then picked my Campine and Buttercup out. They looked the same too, so I assumed I would have two of each of whatever their breeds were,but they all grew up looking differently :lau

8. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Your chickens are sooo cute!

9. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Thanks!

10. Alexandra33

Rare breed assortments are so neat! But there's something I've learned along the way on the path of chicken ownership: whatever you do, at all costs, avoid those bins like the plague! [​IMG] They're an endless source of evil! My mom and I have learned the hard way by coming out of Meyer Hatchery with 2-3 more chicks than originally planned. The first time, it was a Buttercup and Olive Egger, and the second time it was another Fayoumi, another Spitzhauben, and a $2 Cream Legbar. [​IMG]It's a love/hate relationship for me with those bins! [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by