chickenn has ongoing diarea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dominiquetrix, May 10, 2011.

1. dominiquetrix

dominiquetrix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Dominque henn about 1 year old shes been brooding for a while but wont sit on nest at night .
    has diarea for a month but eats well and otherwise seems healthy:) what to do????

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. dominiquetrix

dominiquetrix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Thank you so much for the link! It was very helpful. I didn't see her "exact" poo but it is comforting to see such a wide range of normal.
    She always has a little blob of poop stick to her feathers near the vent. Do you think that is at all significant I have tried many times to clean it off but she is not cooperative.

P.S. I do actually know how to spell. I am somewhat techno-illiterate however, so a friend of mine entered my first post - he's obviously been doing too much texting [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I don't know about the poo stuck to the feathers. One of my Buff Orpingtons has that occasionally. Then it goes away, then comes back. I personally wouldn't worry about it if it were me. But I am concerned if you truly have diarrhea in your flock.

If you have true diarrhea to deal with (and not caecal poo), then you might want to rule out worms.
    http://www.new-self-sufficient-living.com/worms-in-chickens.html

You can always take a fecal sample to a vet (call them first) and have them check it for worms. Worming medications are hard on chickens and you must toss the eggs for awhile. Some folks worm their chickens at the drop of a hat and others don't at all. I don't (but I would if there were actually worms).

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    for future reference here are some diagnosis charts at the bottom

Other folks hopefully will have more suggestions.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know, I have a RIR, and she always seems to have a bit of a dirty bottom. I don't know why. I've cleaned it off. She has no parasites, and the rest of the flock looks great.....I just quit worrying about it. She acts healthy....

(It does bother me because I like my hens to look pretty....LOL)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by