1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens 1 Hawks O

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Delight in Dominiques, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Delight in Dominiques

Delight in Dominiques Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Just a while ago sitting here viewing posts and I see a red tailed hawk land in front of the house, was eating a mouse i guess. To my surprise my Dominiques run towards the hawk and shoe it a way! The hawk went up into a tree and the chickens just went about as if he was not there. Pretty dumb? My birds chase my cats and chocolate lab so they figure a hawk must be something smaller to go against. It amazes me how great these birds are. They free range and always keep to the hedge rows. If going out in the open they move from point a to b very quickly to get back to cover. And quite, hardly ever hear the roosters crowing outside and when there is a problem the rooster lets his girls know and there in cover and stay quite. No wonder the American Dominique has been around for over 300 years!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Although they are primarily mammal hunters, redtails will tackle chickens if hungry enough. Your chickens will be no match if the redtail returns on a hungry day.

3. momiphouph

momiphouph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Thats too funny!! Bet they caught him offguard... no doubt that hawk was not expecting to be chased off by a bunch of chickens!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by