chickens 12 days old. eye problems? lots of pics!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 30, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i noticed one of the meat chickens slower and not walking around( i have since planned to take away food at night now.. my mistake!)

lethargic sorta but ok yesterday.

Checked on him today and one eye where he was laying on the ground is shut and wont open. it looks a little puffy. the one nostril ont he same sid elooked like .. almost like it had a piece of medicated feed in it. i didnt venture into guessing but its not clear or runny it just looks like something might be inside the nostril?
    I noted another that would still walk around and be SORT of active ( remember these are meat chickens) but is slower than the other 90+ and the eyes are open but one is cloudy.

i have all kinds of crap running through my head. i havent separated these two yet, basically because i dont have another heat light available, and i wanted advice.

after reading i dont think its mareks.. no paralyzation..

what about coryza? im not sure what im dealing with! Any advice? i suppose i could go get pictures if i need to.

p.s. we just cleaned the pen this weekend. its a 4x8 brooder, they will be going outside this week. the bedding is pine chips. they get fresh water every day. they are inside. no other birds have been added from an outside source. the brooder right next to it with the comets and others are all fine. this is in the garage, the other babies that come down with cocci are way outside about 350ft off the back of my garage.. no where near it. they have no illness other than cocci and theyve been medicated for a few days now and are ok.( thanks for that btw)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i should mention i went out and got the two out and they both have some swelling at the leg joint. one has a bubble just above it on the hock. feels like fluid. its not a blister like sore from dirty bedding or anything. I wonder if this contributed.

These two chicks are also the smallest and their breasts are a weird shape.. like they indent under the crop?

Anyways, Chick #1 note how its just shut, not really swollen>? and also a pic of its other eye which is clear. you can tell this one has been stepped on wince yesterday cause of the other ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2- other eye is clear but this milky spot, which seems to move, so maybe its like in its eye, not part of it?

[​IMG]

A pic of their feeder and some of the other meat chicks.. i turned off their light because they were practically DYING in teh heat( first hot hot day in a few weeks here) and i have removed the feeder and will put it in tomorrow morning. Ive been feeding them too much and they need to take it easy. i sprinkled a couple hanfuls in their bedding .. i dont think they will starve

[​IMG]

And also, a pick of the other brooder which lines this one. NO problems what so ever in this one.

[​IMG]
    Any advice is appreciated!!!

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    There is a relativly new disease Im so sorry I cant remember the name but it causes swellings like that bursa something or neropsy bursa , Oh cant remember..Serously I would contact your local officials and have at least one of the birds autopsy , oftten this is free of charge due to it can be spread flock to flock with wild birds..Someone just posted a similar thrad with birds dying suddenly possible heat strokes but not sure and one of the other posters wrote a good web site to get information on who to contact..its just a few threads back from this one.

4. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Anyone have an idea? They are both still alive this morning.. they spent the night in a box away from the others. no other noticeable problems in the brooder this morning. I will have a better look this afternoon also.

Thanks again

5. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I just went through this last week with two of my Black Copper Marans. I gave them droppers full of sugar water and washed their eyes out with Saline Solution. One made it and one died on my lap yesterday morning. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by