Chickens 8 months old have not started laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Royal Farmer, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Royal Farmer

Royal Farmer Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    I have 4 Chickens:
    A golden lace Polish
    Salmon Faverolle and 2 ameraucanas

They have not started laying.

I added a light to extend their exposure now that winter is on the way
    they are eating laying feed

What else can I try or how can I tell if they are close?

2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Are they sweating like they want to lay. Do you have picks?

3. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Do they go into the nestboxes at all? Do they squat? Any pics?

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I did have some breeder quality (not hatchery) Ameracauna pullets that started to lay at eleven months of age. Now I get Easter Eggers instead for those green/blue eggs! Mary

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How old are they in weeks? I find that sometimes one person's idea of "8 months" can be =/- multiple weeks when compared with the "8 months" of the next person and with things like onset of production a couple of weeks can make all the difference.
    Your breeds of choice are not particularly fast maturing birds. Are your Ameraucana true bred birds sourced from a reputable breeder or are they "Ameraucana" as sold by most commercial hatcheries which are, in fact, actually Easter Eggers? This will play into point-of-lay as produciton bred birds would be expected to lay sooner than lines of breeder bred birds that have been bred for primary traits other than pure produciton of eggs.
    My experience has been that for pullets that first laying cycle is much less dependent on lighting - the supplemental lighting is more beneficial with inducing winter laying in the subsequent laying cycles of mature layers.

6. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I feel your pain and have the same question as seven of nine 30 week RIR are not laying (April 18th)

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you basing this on egg count or physical exam to determine state of production?

8. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Well, I am a newbie. I saw a pullet sized egg one day and then another egg the next day and several identical to it that week. Then the next week I got another pullet sized egg. Since then I get none or one egg and I got two twice. The one girl has layed four double yoked eggs. Am I wrong?

9. abenardini

abenardini Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I have the same scenario. Jersey Giants, though. Combs are smaller and wattles slow to develop, but I've offered high-quality feed with supplemental animal protein all along (free fed also). Seems like when you get birds later in Spring, they don't start laying till next maybe?

I'm not really worried per se about mine since they are beautiful and healthy. They'll eventually start laying is my school of thought, when they're ready.

10. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I hope so. I will get my next group earlier for sure. Good luck with yours. What eggs do they lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by