Chickens & a pond?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by somissemilyy, Jan 17, 2011.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Do chickens know better than to stay away from a pond?

Oh yeah, and what happened to chat, anyone know?

Thankss!! [​IMG]

2. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

when we free ranged we had ours around a huge pond, more like a small lake, and they did fine. HOWEVER, a couple drowned in the cows' water trough. go figure.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Like any bird, they do better with a gradual edge than a sharp drop off into deep water.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Got 3 ponds and a resivor on our place and never had a problem in 30 years with chickens skinny dippin so far. [​IMG]

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I have a very small pond w/waterfall (my little bit of swamp in the high desert!). No problems with the chickens...but the dogs have been fooled when there is ice...

6. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Thanks! [​IMG]

7. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I had 2, 6 week old chicks jump out of the coop & into my fish pond!!! They were fine, luckily there were alot of plants in the pond to keep them from going under. I did see a video on youtube about a chicken swimming in a pool just like a duck would! I had no idea chickens could swim!

8. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    When my RIRs were about 6 weeks old, I let them free range for the first time. A few of them spied the goldfish in my small pod & thought they'd make a good snack. Luckily, I was watching them & had to rescue 3 of them before they figured it out.
    [​IMG]

Then they discovered the fountain. Whenever it's not running, they love to perch on the edge. I've had to rescue a few from the fountain also.
    [​IMG]

I guess both the fountain & the pond will have to get netting over the top to keep them out.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nice pond and fountain, Remember Ellie Mae Clampet she had a chicken that could swim...[​IMG]

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We have a large spring fed pond and the chickens never go near it hardly. Although they do love to eat frogs that come into the grass!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by