chickens & a swimming pool?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chasot, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chasot

chasot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    georgia
    Just thought of this. We are raising some rir's and are thinking about free ranging.

Can they swim? Will a swimming pool be a deather trap? ( in-ground pool )

We have a pond also, but I would imagine they could just walk out.

thanks, Chas

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Chickens normally don't swim, so accidently flying into the pool or pond could mean a drowning. Most chickens will have the sense not to walk into the pool, but sometimes they can be startled and chased into the water. The chances of them getting out of the water are slim.

-Kim

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Unless you have airhead chickens like I do they probably wont swim. I had some lightweight chickens and gave them a bath I actually let them go and they floated on the surface. RIR on the other hand are probably to heavy to float and no one wants to go diveing to get a chicken off the bottom of a pool.

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Umm, I dunno, I saw a chicken belonging to LCRT wearing a polka dotted bikini last year.....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I had some lightweight chickens and gave them a bath I actually let them go and they floated on the surface.

Even a big turkey will float - for a little while. Then, the feathers get soaked and they deep six.

I'd only be worried about the random startled panic (all take off for cover and the pool is in the path of the retreat).​

6. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    We have free range chickens and an above ground pool. We've never had any problems. [​IMG]

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Ditto.

But I think you might have more problems with an inground. Is there anyway you could enclose the pool? I'm thinking for safety,, not only for chickens, but other animals/small children too?

8. chasot

chasot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    georgia
    that's pretty much how I thought. All the other animals&kids swim well.

I will have to concider my options.

Thanks, Chas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by