chickens act as if they are cold.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bucky52, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    :rolleyes:We have had a cool front come in.I'am in central va.it's in the 40's at night.i have three hens that are 10 months old.they act as if they are cold in the mornings when i feed and water them.they have a really nice chicken house and a 10x10 run.if they are cold now how is the winter going to affect them.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do they sit still and huddle in their feathers? Can you be specific about how you know they are feeling cold?

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    What breed of chickens do you have? Chickens will snuggle with their buddy's on the roost if they get cold. I doubt their getting cold if its 40 after all they wear a down jacket. Chickens radiate alot of heat. Feel the roost under the chicken its mighty hot.

4. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    they are redstar.they remind me of a hen that is sitting.feathers all puffed out.they will stand there just staring at me as though they want something.and its early morning that they do this.they somtimes will stand on one leg as though the ground is cold on their feet.
    and they are moving very slow.i feed them purina layer and they have straw in the run to scratch in and i do give them a little scratch feed in the mornings.

5. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    bummer..it does sound like they are cold.
    we just had the same cold frount and now a week of warm weather to fortify
    Its not only been cold, but damp, and I think thats the diff...I added 4 ml plastic sheeting around the interior of the coop to keep out drafts, checked for damp places, and have another bag of pine chips to add insulation.
    My chickens free range all day, so they are exposed to all types of weather, I think damp and drafts are the worst problems, that and no sun....
    Heres hoping winter isnt as bad this year, but I don't want to loose chickens to the cold either.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Red Star, 10 months.

My guess is they are laying as well. 40's is not cold for healthy birds. My are fine even in the teens.

7. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:On average the winter temps here in Maine range from twenty to five above zero. The cold never really bothered my chickens, but I did notice they huddle a lot more.

8. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks for the imput.i just wormed them about three weeks ago.these hens get the best of anything that they need for their care.i
    thought the hot weather was suppose to be worse on them.but now i'am a little worried seeing that the cool wheather is affecting them so soon.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with the others, they'll be fine. I have 5 1/2 month old black stars, aka black sex links, and we hit the low 40s a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even closed the big doors - the coop is wide open on the front, with hardware cloth covering the openings. I used to start closing the doors @ night when nighttime temps. hit the 40s, but have decided to wait a little longer this year.

[​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    They will adapt to the cold just keep the wind off of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by