Chickens acting crazy!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kirkster5, Aug 19, 2008.

1. kirkster5

kirkster5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    One of my girls started making a ruckus earlier so I went out to see what was the matter. Well she had just laid an egg and another of my girls was getting to close I guess. So I collected the egg and for the last hour she has just stood near her nest and squacked and squealed. Now the other chickens are squacking and squealing. Do you think she is missing her egg and that is leading her to behave this way?? And are the others just 'talking' because she is so upset??

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Many hens will "sing" after they lay an egg. At my house we call it the "I laid an EEEEEGGGG" song. It's quite obnoxious...[​IMG]
    Just to be on the safe side, be sure that there isn't something else upsetting them, like a snake in the nest, or something...

3. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    It's the Happy Laid an Egg song, the layer starts and the others join in

"I'm so happy' I'm so happy, I laid an egg, I laid in egg, everyone now! I'm so happy........... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are telling the world they laid an egg. Very normal behavior. They kick up a fuss and the other hens will often join in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by