chickens acting odd, advice needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ema, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I have 21 chickens all healthy looking and very active. But yesterday DH and I were working int he coop I turned up their bedding and sprinkled DE, washed and refilled waterers and refilled their feeder with Layer feed. I also sprinkled DE on the roosts and added more straw to the nest boxes.

As we were standing outside of the coop watching them I noticed 2 chickens opening their mouths stretching their necks and then closing them back up. they were drinking and eating fine.

they get 2 cups of scratch and 2 cups of BOSS daily in the run, with plenty of fresh water. It has been cold here lately, yesterday was probably about -5 which is I think 18 - 20 F??

the chickens are active, laying fine, no mites, clear eyes and nose, nothing in throat (i looked) I picked them both up and inspected them very well. apart form a little mud on their feet from the run. the only thing I found a bit off was their crops they seemed a bit full but I took another chicken who wasn't exhibiting that behaviour and her crop is much the same. I am pretty new at chickens so I do not exactly know how a crop is supposed to feel ??!!

today they did it a few times again but they are still eating / drinking and laying just fine, they ran to me and DH they minute they saw us to get their treats....and the crops feel fine btw.

I need some advice?? I have read a few posts on here about chickens opening and closing their mouths but couldn't find a post that even related to this. could the DE have caused a mild irritation maybe? or is this something else???

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Their crops should be full at the end of the day and empty in the morning. If they are still bulging and full when they wake in the morning they could be impacted...if not and they are eating, drinking and acting normal they should be fine. Check them in the morning and see how they are. Good luck and keep us posted...I hope this helps.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:This is normal. When their crops start getting full, or if what they are eating is dry - you will often see them stretching and yawning to help move food down into the crop.

4. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    hmm ya they were full last night, empty this morning, we were int here at around 7 which is their bedtime. we like watching them settle down for the night. I thought maybe the DE might have irritated them or something. I guess I will take another gander tomorrow and see if they are still doing it. I am just worried this will be the onset of something. they all look so healthy and vital, I would hate to have them fall ill. but this morning I did feel a bit better seeing that they ALL ran to me. but like I said they were still doing it a bit.

5. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:This is normal. When their crops start getting full, or if what they are eating is dry - you will often see them stretching and yawning to help move food down into the crop.

thank you...I was getting worried...and I know DH was too even though he says he doesn't like them... (caught him singing to them tonight ahahahaha)

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Just adjusting their crop my do it all the time when they have just eaten alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by