chickens acting odd..advice...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ema, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    the last 2 weeks it has been raining non stop here in northern ontario so my chickens haven't really been out much. Yesterday though I went in to give them a bit of scratch before calling it a night and noticed a couple of the chickens acting funny, they are only 15 weeks old, but they are kinda squatting and then lifting their wings, walk a couple steps and squat again, and they are super talkative too, but not the regular chicken squabble but long complaining squaks. today I went in there and a few seem agitated. the coop is an in barn coop. I checked it all out and there is nothing there, but I did notice that all the corners the hay and shavings were all turned up into a big round pile like a nest. My girls have nesting boxes made of milk crates,, with shavings and hay but I don't think they like them. Is this behaviour of their laying behaviour or could they just be irritated they can't go outside. I am afraid to let them out when its raining cause its been super heavy rain!!

2. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Sounds like laying behavior to me!
    Rub their backs for them when they squat....sometimes I feel a little dirty doing so, but it makes them very happy! [​IMG]

Are any of them laying yet? You could try golf balls or plastic eggs in the nest box to help them figure it out.

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Sounds like your girls are getting ready for the big event. Mine did that for about 2 weeks before we got our first egg (at 22 weeks). Do they squat for you when you put your hand over them? It is their way of showing that you are the dominate one of the flock. At 15 weeks, it is still kinda young and you dont say what breed you have. Prepare to wait the long wait. I understand from everything I have read on here that it takes them a while to get all the plumbing working in the right order. As far as the rain, my girls hide under the tractor or go back inside it if the rain is really heavy.

4. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    some of them squat when I pet them. other squack and run away. so if I am correct only some are getting ready to lay while the others may not be ready quite yet. I am heading to town after lunch to pick up a few gold balls. maybe when they peck those a few times they will realize its not good and they won't become egg eaters...fingers crossed!!

5. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    ohh my girls are red sex links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by