Chickens acting strange? New egg layers possibly?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by edithbunker, Aug 29, 2010.

1. edithbunker

edithbunker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    My ladies are 20 weeks old. They are free range and last week a hawk got one of them.[​IMG] So when we are at work they now go into an enclosed pen then when we come home they go free until night time. Today one of them were trying so desperately to get out, she was panting and her wings stuck out a little and she was squawking up a storm. I thought maybe it was because she was hot. But dont think so. As soon as I let just her out she wanted to go into a corner and she started scratching away and acting maybe stressed out, I'm not sure, after a while I let the others out and they were fine but she went and found a place to lay down that was dark and under our porch. After about 30 mins she came out drank alot of water and was normal. hmmmm any suggestions? I do know when I approach them to pick them up or pet them they squat and spread out their wings a little.

2. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    My girls are doing that too! They're all about 20 weeks as well. I was hoping that meant they are close to laying?

3. edithbunker

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    I hope so, otherwise I was thinkin they had the chicken flu...lol

4. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    You may want to check the spot she was laying in under your porch....there could be an egg ![​IMG]

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    One of mine was acting like that last week. Pacing up and down the run and spending alot of time going in and out of the coop. She was squatting too. Well she laid her first egg today. Sounds like you have an egg in the near future.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. edithbunker

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    yay! I did look under the porch and no egg BUT am determined maybe just maybe tomm. I just wanted to make sure she wasnt sick or something.[​IMG]

7. edithbunker

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    Do they lay throughout the entire day or just in the morning?

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    It all depends I have had mine lay as early as 6 am and as late as 5 pm. If she is egg squatting it wont be long.

9. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Ours laid her first in the afternoon.

10. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I had one lay at about 8 pm. My chickens are all late layers -- usually after 11 am. I guess they don't like getting up before 10 am either. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by