chickens afraid of new hanging feeder and waterer

milligan

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Hi -
we just put a new hanging feeder and a hanging water in our run to try to keep the food and water cleaner and not lose as much feed. But the chickens are afraid of them! They wouldn't go in the coop last night - I had to chase them all down in hte yard to get them inside. This morning only one came out of the coop to the run. The rest came out when I opened the run door to the yard. What can I do?

Thank you!

I'd say just give it time...

(I know, I'm not good at it either,
lol.png
)

I'd also say give it some time. If you hung them at the right height they will soon get used to them. I changed the type of bedding I was using one time and they wouldn't even come back into the coop. I just waited until dark and rushed them all in, turned off the lights and they were used to it soon enough. Chickens are funny sometimes about what they get used to. Kind of like an older person, they don't like change. LOL!
barnie.gif
lau.gif

Do you know how far off the ground the feeders should be hanging? Thank you so much your responses -- it's really great!

I do not have hanging feeders, but my guess would be to hang so they can reach with their beaks, but not get their feet in so easily.
But, I wonder, do the chickens try to fly onto hanging feeders?
Maybe put their favorite treat in the feeder, and then hold them up to it to give them the idea.

The average height of a hanging feeder ( or waterer) should be about the height of the back of your birds. This would change depending on if your chickens are bantams, standards, or giants. Chickens are...chicken of new things. I'm sure they will come around when the realize the waterer won't attack them and that the feeder contains scrumptious food!

Back
Top Bottom