Chickens allowed in Sugarland, TX

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JudyMcKinn, Jun 30, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Anyone know how to check if Chickens are allowed in Sugarland, TX.? I can't figure out how to find out.

2. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    call city hall or the county

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Judy,
    I didn't know you were in Texas ...

4. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    HIDE UMM!
    im going to get them and i live in a subdivison that yells at you about your trash cans!!! lol well i live right outside of houston. close to there.
    but idk about the chicken laws i think it is 50ft from any house idk.

5. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Carla, I don't --I have a niece & family here from TX that i am trying to give some Silkies to. (evil grin) The wife and daughters would love them, but hubby isn't enthused. LOL

6. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I read this thread a couple months ago and decided to call the city to ask, since this thread seemed to be inconclusive. Animal control said it's against the city ordinance, but I found an ordinance from 2010 saying that it's okay, so I don't know what to think. I finally gave up on trying to be lawful and am just going to go ahead and do it. My neighbors have all accepted my bribe of silence with free eggs, so I think that'll do just fine as long as no nosy city employees go hopping my fence.

7. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Confirmed, they are not. I'm not sure if the ordinance has changed, but the current ordinance is that fowl are not allowed in any residentially zoned neighborhood. Still, that hasn't stopped myself or many others in the area. Did you ever end up getting chickens? I'd like to meet other SL chicken owners in hopes that we might be able to get the ordinance changed like they recently did in Houston.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by