1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and annoying dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken_Noodle_Poop, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Chicken_Noodle_Poop

Chicken_Noodle_Poop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I have a coop, but I'm going to build a chicken run with chicken wire and metal posts; however, recently the dogs killed one of my chicks and mauled the other when they flew outta the coop cause my friend was being a stupid stoner and opened the door. I'm worried that I should buy a pre-made one that has a coop attached for 400$ which is a whole pay check for me but i'm nervous about doing a home-made one cause both dogs are hungry for chickens

2. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Build your coop, save the money and put a lock on the latch so nobody but you can open it. I have large BBQs (50 - 60 people) and for some reason the chickens are a huge draw. I have them locked in their run so urban folks can't access and play with the chickens.

As most have mentioned in other posts, use a sturdy wire rather than chicken wire as its just too light weight and dogs as well as other very determined animals can get through it. Let it be known that if an action by a friend or foe (without permission) causes harm to your flock they will need to reimburse you. That should take care of it and have a farm/barn/ chicken rule that no dogs are to be loose around your flock. They can contain their dogs in their cars while visiting.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:The chicken wire wont be enough to keep the dogs out. they will easily tear through it, or go over it, or dig under it . Better to invest in hardware cloth http://www.csnstores.com/ just type in hardware cloth in the seach box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by