Chickens and antibiotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SurferchickinSB, Sep 15, 2018.

1. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    A few months ago, I had to bring my chicken into the vet for an eye infection and she had me treat her with antibiotics. My vet told me to make sure that I do not eat any eggs from her for two months, she was not laying yet because she was only a few months old, but my vet told me that she had to tell me that legally. What is the reason for such a long wait time? I thought commercial chickens got fed antibiotics on a routine basis and I cannot imagine in the commercial business that they would not use the eggs or meat for two months.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It is a myth that our farm animals are fed antibiotics on a daily basis. It's illegal to sell meat or milk with antibiotics in them. Yes sick animals get treated. All withdrawal periods need to be followed or else a farmer ends up with big fines. Most medications aren't approved for chickens so most don't actually know the withdrawal periods on antibiotics.

SurferchickinSB and dawg53 like this.
  3. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply I wondered about that after I took my chicken to the vet and she was put on antibiotics.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: