Chickens and Ants

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Townsend3, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Townsend3

Townsend3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    I live in the city and have 9 backyard chickens. Our yard is average in size and I let them free range when I'm outside working in the vegetable garden. This year I have a bad problem with ants. I've tried cornmeal, DE and vinegar/water and nothing seems to be helping. I'm worried about what I use because of the chickens but these ants are driving me crazy and I DON'T want them in the house. What can I use to get rid of them that actually works and is safe for my hens? My husband thinks we can spray the area and as long as it's dry the chickens will be fine. I DISAGREE! lol Please help [​IMG]

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I haven't had luck either. On line someone said to put talcum powder out because ants won't go across it. Yes they did.

rjohns39 likes this.
  3. Eli1977

Eli1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2016
    Have you tried a bait in a different corner or the yard it may lure them away I had a guy from cook's pest control tell me that and sure enough he lured all the ants away from my house. I didn't have the same bait as him but last time i used a sugar with water and the water had a dissolved borax in it. I put few cotton balls in it and than put them all soaked in different places where my chickens can't get to. It worked

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Hi @Townsend3

We used ant bait outside our chicken coop/run - traced the trail of entry and found the ant bed and placed it there - next day ... no ants.

IMO - try finding where they are coming from - use the ant bait/killer and place a metal basket, chicken wire or other barricade over the hill so you flock can't get into the ant killer and bet ya it works.

Smuvers Farm, sourland and rjohns39 like this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

rjohns39 and blackdust951 like this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

rjohns39 and blackdust951 like this.
  7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Mint keeps them away. Either dried or fresh. I would start by putting a small or large handful in their main trail. If you know where the nest is, put a big ol handful on top of it. I have had such success with using my own fresh mint, I went ahead and bought a 1 lb bag of dried (not expensive). Mice and rats hate mint too. I soak cotton balls with mint oil and tuck them into nooks and crannies under the hood of my car to keep pack rats and mice from getting under there and eating wires and hoses. It works. Try it. Ants really hate the stuff. :)

8. rjohns39

rjohns39 True BYC Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've joined us:ya

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The idea of strategically placed and covered baits sounds good to me. Good luck.

rjohns39 likes this.
  10. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by