Chickens and Bees?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pheonix, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Pheonix

Pheonix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    I have a few chickens, and they run free in the backyard all day. I'm now thinking of getting a bee hive and was wondering if anyone knew if the bees would go after chickens that got to close, and if a bee could even sting a chicken.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Our hive is actually right NEXT to the run and we haven't had any problems with bees stinging birds or birds eating bees.

3. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I had a bantam chicken that would snatch them out of the air, cut them in half with her beak to kill them and chow them down. Yum! Protein!

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I keep two bee hives, and they don't bother/sting anything. Honeybees are not very aggressive. I am raising a flock of Guineas and have been told they will eat my bees but I am hoping there is plenty of other insects for them.

5. Pheonix

Pheonix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Thanks. Just searched some more on the site and found that they are fine from quite a few people. Prob in the spring I'll get some.

6. Karens62

Karens62 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Marion, NC
    Good luck, we LOVE our bees! Between the bees and thick chickens and the dog and myself, my poor sweetie is overrun with girls, ut he doesn't seem to mind. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by