Chickens AND Bees

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by majesticfarm, Apr 16, 2008.

1. majesticfarm

majesticfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    I have Bees and am looking forward to getting some chickens, ducks and turkeys. I have an electric fence for the bees (we have bears in the area) and was hoping to put my coop in the fence area as well. Are the chickens OK with Bees? Are the bees OK with the chickens?
    It would be very nice to share the fence.

What about other livestock ?

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a beehive about 15 feet behind my coop (facing away from coop) and the chickens free-range all day. They often scratch and peck around the hive area since I have a big pile of mulch out there (they spread it out quite nicely, LOL). I've never seen the chickens right up at the hive, nor have I ever seen them try to catch or eat the bees. The bees don't seem to pay them any mind.

The only issue that will come up with having a hive in the chicken yard is how it will affect YOU doing your chores. The best positioning would be with the hive front facing East (to get that warm morning sunlight) and near a fenceline so that you won't have to walk in front of the hive to work with your chickens. Something like this:

+
    WEST

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _fence _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    | _________ |
    | | | |
    | | coop | |
    | |________| |
    | |
    | |
    | __ |
    | |_| |
    |_ _[gate]_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _beehive front ^ _ |
    don't stand here - [​IMG]

EAST
    +

You never really want to walk in front of a hive, but they get especially protective as summer progresses and they guard their honey stores. As long as you give them some scratch or treats your chickens shouldn't bother you when you work on your hive. Though I have no idea if chickens like honey, beeswax, or propolis!

It boils down to YES, in my opinion, AS LONG AS you have enough room to work with each yard resident without disturbing or exciting the other. [​IMG]

As for other livestock, I'm guessing no. I know for sure that my dog will not go up to the hive because she's been stung. I think they chased her off after she got too close once; plus she's black -bees intensely dislike dark colors.

3. majesticfarm

majesticfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    That's great news! Thanks so much for the VERY informative info, I'll be sure to follow your description, glad to hear it's working out for you. We will let ya know![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by