chickens and birds need a good gaurd dog from unwanted predators

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by birdman55, Aug 11, 2014.

1. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yes these dogs are trained and they dont touch the chickens....other then to say hi to them

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Awww. They are adorable! Are they Pit Bulls?

3. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    american staford shire terrior....aka the pit bull....they are about three as of last month.....at first they would target the birds....but months of training and now they dont touch them....however if i need a meal....i tell them to go get me a chicken and they bring one to me..but they have warded off many racoons and small foxes and the turkey vultures dont bother any of my birds...they have even brought in the house a rabbit one day....like with anything a good owner can train any dog....but these dogs have a bad name....they are also kid friendly....they do have slpit personalities so you have to be able to read your dog very well....and i have worked with these dogs for three years...and they will do just about anything i ask of them...the male brendal which is about 90 pounds will attack on demand and with a snap of a finger he will lick your face...a child can put his face in his dog bowl with nothing to happen...the female white is about 50 pounds...i can hang a toy in the tree thats seven feet and the male can jump and grab it out of the tree..he actually broke the maple tree branch right off when i hung his toy on the branch....very strong and very loyal dogs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by