chickens and bunnies

lostmountain

Hatching
11 Years
May 2, 2008
We have just decided to get chickens and have already promised our girls bunnies. Can bunnies and chickens share a yard if they have their own "houses" in the yard? We plan on having a large yard with a six foot fence. If we lock the chickens and bunnies in their coop and hutch at night, could we get away with an uncovered yard?

There is a great blog site at www.hencam.com
She has a bunnie in with her girls, that has it's own hutch. The stories she tells about them interacting are a hoot! My chicks come in 3 weeks and they will have a bunnie for sure.

If the bunnies will be in the yard, you will need to do extensive dig-proofing all around the fencing, since although bunnies do not fly as well as chickens do
smile.png
they are top-notch tunnellers.

There are some disease concerns, but by and large if conditions are kept sanitary *and* the chickens and especially the rabbits are in very good physical shape and not stressed in any way, you are relatively unlikely to have problems with disease transmission between the two.

...she sez, still having not *quite* finished research for an article on the subject
tongue.png

Pat

I was wondering that too.. I rescued my rabbit last spring and I would LOVE it if he could run around in my big chicken enclosure instead of being stuck in his hutch or the little 10ft portable run I made him. Plus, it'll be great to see them interact (he used to run in my big fenced dog run with my dogs... until I moved!)

I'll have to make him a ramp for his hutch and see what happens!!! YAY!

This is Chubs...
ChubsNoseWiggle.gif

Quote:
Someone else said that too when they saw his pictures... but he is pretty small... I think he's either a mini lop or a stunted Holland...

My neighbor (a farmer) got him with a bunch of girls at an auction. He put them all together in a big hutch (not knowing that Chubs was a boy!) and the girls almost killed him (he must have been too "friendly"!) They skinned his back and ripped half of one of his ears off. He was also VERY underweight. He looked horrible.
hit.gif
I grabbed him out of the hutch when I noticed it (I was feeding my neighbors chickens and the bunnies). I told my neighbor about it and he said I could either keep him or just let him loose. So I kept him!

He's a real sweetheart! (and he's MUCH fatter now! Thus the name!)
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom