Chickens and cat food? Treats for molting?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Hi, I was wondering if chickens can have cat food?

I know there's a treat chart I've seen around before and at first it said you can't but I think now it says you can in small amounts but be careful of some ingredient, maybe taurine?

And then just most recently I saw a thread on fattening ducks up and it was suggested as a high protein treat.

So I guess what I am saying is that it I have seen conflicting information about it and just want a definitive answer on whether it is safe to feed to them or not?

I realize that definitive good or bad might not be possible but will it kill them?

It is dry cat food, I think maybe wet is worse? And I am wondering because the cat had a very small amount left in her bowl and being spoiled, when I refilled it, I decided to dump the old out and fill with all new. And give her her left over can
1f602.png
anyway, normally I would just toss it in the dog bowl, which isn't very often, but I thought maybe the chickens would enjoy it? Especially because they are starting to molt. I made a post a while ago that one was getting picked on or molting (I decided she was being bullied) but a couple days ago I went out there to find massive amounts of feathers aaaaaalllllll over from another chicken and I knew no chicken could be bullied enough to lose that amount of feathers and she must be molting. Now yet another chicken has been looking scraggly for a couple days. The poor thing has no neck feathers :lau SO. I thought it might be a good high protein treat? It is not very much at all and is a good quality grain free brand, not junk.

This is the amount (I can give some to the dog or back in her bowl if it's too much). There's 8 chickens.

And this is the food.

And speaking of high protein foods, what else can I give them to help them out? I thought about buying them Feather Fixer which I've heard is good for molting but I'm already feeding them Hearty Hen by the same brand (Nutrena, HH is Naturewise line) which is higher protein than Nutrena's normal layer feed at 18% so already the same amount of protein as Feather Fixer plus formulated for layers so it'd be pointless. But are there any snacks or treats I can give them to help them out?

Oh and I got these supplements at Tractor Supply a while ago but haven't fed them yet. Should I or no?

Got the pictures to work by going to desktop mode which took longer but at least it worked

Last edited:
I tried cat food, most wouldn't eat it and others got the poops. Feeding a ration that has 18-20% is a good start, so your regular feed sounds fine. You can try some canned fish, which haven't yet, scrambled eggs which mine love and cottage cheese, another favorite around here. You can try a bit of cat food and see how it goes. Everything in moderation, otherwise mine get some of almost anything we eat here.

Thanks for the help you guys. Maybe I'll skip the cat food but I might try it anyway just to see. If they don't eat it or don't do well, not a big deal, I'll just take it away.

I'll try getting some cottage cheese and maybe yogurt?

Does BOSS help?

I feed mine a can or two of the cheap cat food from TractorSupply from time to time, , and they go after it like a bunch of piranhas.     From what I can tell, they really like it.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to try giving them some of that too. We actually have a lot of the Tractor Supply cans. She's on the dry food because I found it at the grocery store and she didn't like her previous grain free food but Tractor Supply is good too and I actually like the 4Health brand, it's a good food for the price. Both the dog and cat love it. I have both the grain free and the regular but I prefer the grain free for the cat but wanted to try all flavors. Can the chickens eat the one with grain? I guess that's a stupid question actually cause chicken's primary diet is made up of grains and plants as opposed to a carnivore's meat based diet?
1f605.png
Maybe I could give them some of that? Because we have a loooottt of the regular cans atm. Although I guess I shouldn't give them too much? Wonder if they can eat dog food too? Cause we have some TOTW cans our dog hates

This is the food we have atm. Except I forgot most of it was chicken flavor, feels so wrong giving them chicken
1f602.png

And I just bought this. Bird seed is for the wild birds in the front garden, BOSS and mealworms are for them.

Also got some cottage cheese, as recommended. Forgot to get yogurt though.

I feed Flock Raiser to everyone all year, and it's fine as it is. I also won't feed chicken to chickens, just because. Cat food varies in quality and ingredients, and is meant for cats, so not balanced for chickens. My birds will eat a bit if the barn cat leaves some in her dish, but that's it. Game bird adult breeder ration makes more sense to me, if it's available where you live. Extras really aren't needed if the base diet is good. Mary

Back
Top Bottom