Chickens and cats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Guinea and Chicken raiser, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    Getting Along

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    yeah actually, my cat is afraid of my chickens... they are just harmlessly walking around and she gets cornered in a corner.... Its really funny.

3. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    [​IMG]

4. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    well, my man I live with says that you gotta to raise them when they are young... and you can train cats to get along..

5. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    Not the mommy.

[​IMG]

it took rice to get these ones to get along. That is a hen that is new to the babies.

6. cute, our cat hates the chickens, but has never hurt them, (well once but it was a chick, she ate it :(

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    My cats could care less about the chickens so they all live together harmoniously. When I go out with scraps and call, "here chicky, chikcy, chicky", the cats must think I'm saying, "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty" because they all come running and eat together, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese or lima beans,etc. Strange cats

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Our fat cat is scared of the chickens. I had to bring a hen in to wash her butt, and he comes sauntering in while she's drying off on my lap. (very tame hen) She looks at him and starts cackling, hops off my lap towards him, and he freezes. Then he bolted when she took one step closer.

Though now he sleeps on top of the brooder and watches the babies. Those are "his" peepers, all day and and all night he guards them. He likes our dogs, but if they come up to the brooder he swats at them. Not sure of his intentions but he's being good. I pulled a chick out for a close inspection of gender, and he head butted my hand for a pat and sniffed at the chick, then settled down to watch. He was sweet, maybe he has good intentions after all. He certainly lays on the brooder as if it's his. He's abandoned evening couch time for that brooder!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana

thanks. my cats chase mine around, but no chicken has died for a long time. Only one cat would start to run after one and they stop when I yell at them to stop.

10. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    I bet. when you go out the cats think you are saying here kitty, kitty.

Well, we feed the cats first and then we let out the chickens, they could have some food left over from yesterday, and we give them a new pile, cuz chickens are particular about having their foods in a pile, even though they just scratch it into a mess later... the chickens head to the cat food and eat the cat food even though there is plenty of food that is not eating after they are full of cat food and just not all the chickens eat it, some just like crowd over it and not let others go. But some chickens don't even try to get to the chicken food anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by