Chickens and Chicks

Lipkis

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Kennesaw, GA
We have three beautiful Cochin bantam pullets.

We got them last Easter and we have been so lucky to have them. They are such a joy to have around because we're always willing to see what they're doing to see how our day will be brightened because of them. They bring us such joy!

We're always upset when we can't see them or if it's raining and we can't let them out. My mother and I never knew that having chickens could be so rewarding and fun to have! Because of that we have discovered that chickens are like potato chips.

Our girls have taken over our lives. Our living room is decked out with chicken paraphernalia and our kitchen is slowly being morphed form bird houses into a chicken theme. My mom and I are so enamored with chickens we are thinking about having more.

We were wondering if we were to get chicks, two or so, we want to know when we can introduce them. We know about quarantine and to make sure they're healthy before we were to bring any animal into an environment.

Does anyone have any answers?

youd want to wait till your chicks got atlest 3 months old before you put them with your older hens.2wks before you let them out togather put chicks in a pen in the henhouse.an let them get used to eachother.

I think when they are fully feathered and no longer need a heat lamp, you can move them to the coop after quarantine at roost time. While everyone is sleeping, there should be no trouble. The next morning you can put them in the run, but separate them from the existing older flock with chicken wire for a few days or so in order that they get to know one another and get used to one another with a bit of security. The first time you really let them all mingle, keep a close eye on them in case you see more than pecking order harrassment. If they free range, they are more than likely going to be too busy looking for insects and such to fight. After a while, it should work out just fine! My youngest chick is at the bottom of the pecking order, but no one has drawn blood. She's quite a survivor, and much quicker than the older birds, too. I only feel sorry for her at roost time, because none of the other chickens want her to get close to them to roost, so I hold her and massage her little crop until she falls asleep. Then, when the others are asleep, I place her on the roost pretty close to the hen at the end and all goes well through the night! Best wishes!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom