Chickens and cold

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hen'nbiddies, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Hen'nbiddies

Hen'nbiddies Out Of The Brooder

That was a good thread about RIR chickens and the cold. I have a question about some others that were listed as cold hardy in the catalog. What about cold and Sussex, New Hampshire Red and Buff Orphingtons. How do Amerucanas do in the cold? Thanks. Just learning about chickens and finding that experienced people can often give better advice than books![​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The buff orpingtons do well, because of their size and small combs. My older ameraucanas did well, too, but the young ones just didn't have enough meat on them to keep them really warm. We had to baby them through the winter. I don't know about the other breeds, tho...

3. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I would like to know about the sussex as well. I plan on adding some speckled sussex to my flock of Dominiques this year.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I think Patandchickens has sussex here in Canada...they are listed as being extremely cold hardy so they should be good. You might have to make sure the roos you keep don't have big combs and wattles though if you are worried about frostbite.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    yeah well, I do have sussexes (and thus far, they are all fat and frisky and happy and no frostbite) BUT because of its construction my coop has not been below 20 F yet this winter. (FWIW the campine hen is also perfectly fine, and that's not usually considered an especially cold-hardy breed). So I am really not a test case for 'how much freezin' can they endure' [​IMG]

I would expect them to be about comparable to Orpingtons or larger Rocks -- fairly good sized birds and hardy by nature, but the roosters do have a pretty good-sized comb etc.

(Side note: I sure wish more breeds were available in alternate versions with rose or other smaller less-frostbite-target-y combs....)

Pat

6. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I noticed the sussexes do have the same size comb as my rocks, which I am having problems with...sure wish I had your coop Pat...gonna do some work on mine this summer for sure:>)
    Chanteclers and Brahmas are about the only birds I can find so far that might avoid frostbite because of comb types. Brahmas are huge birds though, so will probably eat me out of house and home before too long...and my rocks are bigger than the Chanteclers, and I really like my rocks...the hens have really good comb size and don't seem at all bothered by the deepfreeze. Maybe I can breed them for comb/wattle size and end up with the perfect bird for me! Problem is it will take years!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Also buckeyes.

I really like my rocks...the hens have really good comb size and don't seem at all bothered by the deepfreeze. Maybe I can breed them for comb/wattle size and end up with the perfect bird for me! Problem is it will take years!

Have you thought of crossing in something else (maybe Dominiques if you want to keep the barring) to get a rose or pea or cushion-combed version of your rocks? Might take less time than selecting for smaller combs and you'd probably get more bang for your buck in terms of frostbite resistance. Depends on how you would feel about the look, of course.

Pat​

8. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Buckeyes aren't very good layers though...and the dominiques are quite a bit smaller...WHERE OH WHERE is the perfect chicken?? I tried orpingtons too...beautiful big heavy bird, but for some reason I had more trouble with those that any other breed I have ever tried...AND they eat more than anything I've ever seen too:>)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by