Chickens and Compost

Juise

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
What do you do with your compostable goods that are not chicken safe?

I have been throwing all my egg shells, (the ones I don't dry and crush, anyway,) onion and garlic skins / ends, potato peels, dried beans, and coffee grounds into a separate bin, a large cat litter lidded plastic container.

Once that was full, I figured everything inside was pretty well nasty and unappealing enough, so I turned my compost pile, dug a big hole in it, deposited my gross bin worth of unsafe chicken stuff into the bottom of it, and covered it all up with the compost heap. It was at least 2 feet down.

That was yesterday morning. They seemed to leave it alone, or at least only attack the top of it, all day yesterday. Well, today, I look out my window this afternoon, and they are all on the compost pile, and they have dug the crap out of it!
barnie.gif
They have obviously been at it for some time, and I can see the egg shells that I had thought I had buried deeply enough, so surely all those other things have surfaced, too.

It's obviously too late to anything about that, I am just watching them and hoping to hell none of them get ill, but in the future, what should I do? Bury it in a farther away, completely different spot? They will more than likely follow me anywhere I go, especially if I am carrying a bucket,
droolin.gif
so how far do I really have to dig for them not to get at it?

I would not like to throw compostable foodstuffs in the trash, obviously.

You could make a compost bin rather than a pile so that the chickens can't get at it, or fence off a separate pile.

I suppose I could do that, it is just that this is a very small portion of the compost, so we are talking about a fairly small amount of goods to smuggle.
big_smile.png

To China Juise, and they would probably beat you there. You could try a wire frame on top of the pile. That would mean you have to level the pile a bit so it lays flat and they can't get under it.

gig.gif

We have a compost tumbler we haven't used in some time that I forgot about, I think I am going to get it back in action to take care of the unsafe scraps.

Thanks!

I do, too. I haven't done any vermicomposting before, but I'd like to. I just need to be careful to add one project at a time slowly, or my husband will freak
gig.gif

Lol, I can just imagine him, "WHAT!? Now you want WORMS!?"
lau.gif

He really ought to have known what he was getting into, I was in art school at the time, after all.
tongue2.gif

I put the things I don't want the birds to eat like avocado and onion deep in my compost with the things like apple peels and lettuce trimmings on the top of the pile. Next day I turn it all in after they have had fun getting what they want from it. So the deepest part of the compost is bad stuff but the top layers are all safe. With the middle layer being their poop. I have yet to see them dig deep enough to get at the bottom layer. I have a long compost pile and just work from one end to the other so I don't turn up the bottom before the worms have a chance to break it down.

Back
Top Bottom