Chickens and Coop ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyChickens09, Oct 20, 2009.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    What would cause chicks to go into the coop and then suddenly stop? Is there something I need to do to make them want to go into the coop at night? Thanks so much in advance

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    How old are they and how long have they been in the coop? When I first put mine in the coop, I kept them in for 1 week without letting them out. When I did let them out, they considered the coop home and went back in at dusk without a fuss.

3. paulpig

paulpig Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Ours also love the coop......when the flock free ranges, they love to wonder back into the coop to see what we are doing to their home( new nest boxes, cleaning. etc) Try feeding them treats while inside the coop.
    Do you have enough room in your coop for the amount of birds?
    Good luck.............

4. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    They are six weeks old and they have been in the coop for two to three weeks. They use to go in the coop by themselves at night and the past week they have stopped. The coop is 6' X 8' X 6" so room is not the issue. They lived in the coop for a week penned up; nothing has changed that I know of (feed,water is the same) I am wondering if its the weather or coop temperature that is causing them to change the routine. I just fear for their safety because of predators and the fact that we are heading into winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by