chickens and cows

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cockofthelock, Jan 6, 2013.

1. cockofthelock

cockofthelock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Alma Ontario Canada
    hi I have 6 chicken and my ? is can my son work on a dairy farm

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm sorry but I have no idea where you are coming from? What is your concern?

3. cockofthelock

Mar 30, 2012
    Alma Ontario Canada
    Hi sorry about that ,here it is my son whent to a chicken farm the other week and told the farmer that we also have chick he told him to get the hell off his farm ( more foul words from him about makeing his birds sick) so will this be a problem if my son is to start working on a dairy farm thank for the reply

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It should not be a problem at all. Most diseases are pretty species specific. Cattle diseases will generally not get chickens sick. Same for the other way around.

People who raise chickens for a living are usually really careful about biosecurity. They can use a lot of money if a disease gets loose in their flock. It's not unusual for people that work or visit a really big commercial operation to have to take a shower or wear special clothes, especially shoes or shoe coverings. Feed delivery trucks may need to drive through a sanitation pit to disinfect their tires.

That guy could maybe have been more diplomatic in how he managed the situation but he was protecting his livelihood.

5. cockofthelock

Mar 30, 2012
    Alma Ontario Canada
    thank you vary much for the fast reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by