Chickens and dog poop... compatible?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SilkiesForEver, Feb 15, 2014.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    My (very odd and/or sort of disgusting) question is: Can I put my dog's poo in the chicken yard for them to stir it up, and help it decompose faster?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Will it gross you out when you see them eating it? They will...

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    My purpose of putting it in their yard is to break it up, and have it decompose.

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Maybe a bit of a forbidden subject-- but I have wondered about this-- we have 3 really big dogs and they and the chickens range about on almost 2 acres-- I see the hens scratching away out there and there isnt as much poop as I would expect (its disappearing somewhere-- I only pick it up it its near the house or driveway)...

SO I can guess they are recyling it and turning it over.... I dont think I would put it into the chicken yard (its a tiny enclosure that guards the popdoor)...because it would stink things up....

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It will break up as they're scratching it up and eating it. Chickens aren't too fussy about what they eat. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that's because of the ick factor. I realize the dog poop wouldn't actually go into the eggs, but.... [​IMG] For some reason it just doesn't seem as gross to me when they pick undigested feed out of the horse manure.

6. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I see my chickens scratching dog poo up & eating it daily. [​IMG]

Yes, it looks disgusting.

Yes, it helps it breakdown.

Yes, you will curse the day you let the chickens roam where the dog poops & vice versa ( it goes both ways, my dogs love chicken poop).

No, you won't want them to continue doing it, it will put you off, possibly for life, ever eating a freerange bird or its eggs again.

No, you can't stop them doing it without confining them or the dog.

Yes, it is natural for all animals to eat other animals poo at some stage or another.

No, it is not really good for the chicken to eat dog poo as part of a healthy diet daily because of disease risks from what the dog may have been eating on the sly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by