Chickens and Dogs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by moodlymoo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I allow my chickens to free range my entire backyard. I have 3 dogs. I now have 3 dogs who eat all the treats my chickens leave for us. Will this hurt my dogs? Its like chicken candy for dogs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Oooh - good question! My dogs eat all the treats that all the animals leave for us and we haven't had a problem ... that we know of ... yet. Yeah, super gross - and I'll be interested to see what others have to say...

3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    well my little dog has finally started putting on weight lol

4. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Mine eats it all the time, he seems fine.

6. Josiah Woodfield

Josiah Woodfield Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Chestertown, MD
    Sounds gross... I've heard of dogs eating eggs and such but thats a bit over the edge.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My dogs do same but they eat only small amounts. Appears to be for vitamin intake. Only concern is in regard to worms chickens carry in the intestinal tract. I worm only birds that fail to carry them well and as a method to fatten such culls to get them out the finishing door. I do not know if dogs are susceptable to the exact same types of worms. Large round worms are those I can see readily but strongly suspect more than one species involved and they (worms) may particular about which host they can infect, despite the conserved appearance of the round worms.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've gotten food poisoning from this.. My dog licks my face = camplyobacter causing ulcer.. But I have an awful immune system...

9. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I try to stop them but its hard to. None of my chickens have worms thank god, but its just so nasty. I told them to stop cleaning up after my chickens and start cleaning up after themselves. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    My dog is the same and its disgusting but he is very fertile . My wife hates when he gives her kisses now. I told her before the chickens he had other bad habits that he had but she said those other things did not walk around on 2 feet and remind her all day what he eats!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by