Chickens and Dogs

moodlymoo

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Portland OR
I allow my chickens to free range my entire backyard. I have 3 dogs. I now have 3 dogs who eat all the treats my chickens leave for us. Will this hurt my dogs? Its like chicken candy for dogs.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Oooh - good question! My dogs eat all the treats that all the animals leave for us and we haven't had a problem ... that we know of ... yet. Yeah, super gross - and I'll be interested to see what others have to say...

My dogs do same but they eat only small amounts. Appears to be for vitamin intake. Only concern is in regard to worms chickens carry in the intestinal tract. I worm only birds that fail to carry them well and as a method to fatten such culls to get them out the finishing door. I do not know if dogs are susceptable to the exact same types of worms. Large round worms are those I can see readily but strongly suspect more than one species involved and they (worms) may particular about which host they can infect, despite the conserved appearance of the round worms.

I try to stop them but its hard to. None of my chickens have worms thank god, but its just so nasty. I told them to stop cleaning up after my chickens and start cleaning up after themselves.
gig.gif
sickbyc.gif

My dog is the same and its disgusting but he is very fertile . My wife hates when he gives her kisses now. I told her before the chickens he had other bad habits that he had but she said those other things did not walk around on 2 feet and remind her all day what he eats!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom