Chickens and Dogs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenfiend, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    IS there anyway i can let my dogs out while my chickens are free ranging? I have 2 mutts one is a dalmation mix and the other is beagle mix. I have 3 Australorp hens and 1 roo.

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Guess the only was to answer that question is to try it? Risky though... You could put them (the dogs) on long lines so you could stop a catastrophe... I guess I shouldnt be giving advice about this as I have dogs that are ALMOST always good with chickens, except for that time they gored two of my hens as the school bus was pulling up. [​IMG] Good luck with it!!

3. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    To get our dog used to seeing the girls run around, DH and DD have fun with them while I sit next to the dog and we just watch. He does pretty good, whining a little. We will do this many times but I don't think I would trust him out there by himself. I was thinking about putting his leash on so he can walk aorund too, but I am in control (just in case he gets the urge...) The pullets are used to him from when he would poke in on them in the brooder, so they will run right by.
    From the many posts I have read here, I am being cautious.
    I think introducing one dog at a time would be easier to control than two!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i have the same problem...i wish i could try it....i honestly dont think my saint bernards(i have 2) would attack them to kill them.(they've been around all my animal babies..from kittens,goats,piglets and my cocatiel and parrot)..but..i think my chickens would get trampled on...when the dogs are running around nuts...so..i'm to chicken to try it...[​IMG]..Wendy

5. I let my pitt,dane and poodle mix out when ever the chickens are free ranging but i have to stay close to my yorkie, he thinks they are toys to play with.Miss Mia, the pitt just lays in the back of the p/u and watches them, she watches for snakes to. marrie

6. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i let my dogs put with my chickens and they do fine unless the chickens run try it but be careful

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    It really depends on the dog. My yellow lab barks and goes bananas every time I go into the pen. I KNOW if I let the chickens out he'd get them. My BF's shepherd is perfectly fine with the chickens - even lets them steal her treats/food and she is VERY possessive of her food.

I'd keep them on a lead and see what happens but beware of the beagle...

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My chickens free range and I have two dogs. The silkie "terror" must be tied at all times as he thinks he must attacked everything that moves. Including vehicles. My austrailian shepard mix is perfect with them and they mingle all around him while he lays there.

I had chickens years ago and two rotties. They killed a couple of hens and my mother said we should beat them with the dead chicken and they'd never do it again. I never tried that. Kept the dogs and chickens separated.

9. MissBHaven

MissBHaven Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Maine
    I was scared to let my dogs in with my little chicks too, my 11 year old poodle was trying to be thier Mommy. (I think). She would go crazy every time anyone went near the chicks, but would often snap at them if they moved quickly. I do let her in the run with me when I'm out playing chicken games, and she does really well, but I still don't trust her completely. [​IMG]

10. twinlights

twinlights Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We have all free range chickens and we have 4 dogs.
    The older dog just layes down in the shade with the hens, its very funny!
    The other three are pups, and as long as the chickens don't run, all is well. The trick is to not let them start to chase when one does run.
    One of my hens has put a one pup in her place and she stays clear of them. The other two still think they might be fun to play with. [​IMG]
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by