Chickens and Ducks Cross Infection

mego21

Chirping
May 14, 2015
Can chickens spread illnesses to ducks and vice versa? My ducks and chickens are in the same coop. I have a couple chickens that have become infected with a respiratory disease and am considering culling the whole flock to avoid future birds becoming infected. Will I have to cull my ducks as well in order to completely get rid of the possibility of future birds getting the respiratory infection?

Sounds like quite a dramatic approach to a couple of respiratory infections.

Do you know what the problem is? Fungal? Bacterial? Viral? Some respiratory infections are caused by moldy bedding.

No I don't know what the problem is I just kept reading that if they are infected then they will keep re infecting future birds. Is this true? I would rather not kill them.

No I don't know what the problem is I just kept reading that if they are infected then they will keep re infecting future birds. Is this true? I would rather not kill them.

Have one tested before you cull your whole flock!

-Kathy

I live in Canada and when I called the program operating through the government to ask about getting one tested they told me they only do necropsy and would have to kill the bird to do any testing. Any other vet clinics are going to charge me 75 dollars just for the visit and then the testing would be additional.

Ducks carry a number of things that could cause a chicken to get sick, because they are not used to coming into contact with those microbes. If you are making sure the chickens have access to clean water and fresh bedding, there is not much more you can do. Just give electrolytes to the sick ones in isolation, if it doesn't get better within 5 days, you should put them down. However, you don't have to cull your flock. Those that don't get sick will be stronger for it. You will always run the risk of losing a new chicken when you have mixed flocks. I choose not to house them together so that my chickens always have somewhere special haha. But one of my Swedish really enjoys laying eggs in the chicken coop. Apparently, she can climb the ramp! I also give them a very large run, a fifth of an acre for 16 birds, half water and half land. Older birds have a harder time adjusting than strong, younger ones. Also, I don't recommend brooding them together. It's messy! Ducks never cease to amaze me with their antics and messes! It's best to wait until they're ready to go outside where there can be plenty of space. Okay, I'll stop rambling! Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom