1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and ducks living together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HorsesRule, Dec 11, 2013.

1. HorsesRule

HorsesRule New Egg

Jan 1, 2013
    I have 12 chickens and I'm thinking about getting 2 or 3 female pekin ducks. Ive never had ducks before but really want some.
    Their sleeping incloser is pretty big as well as their cage, but the pond is outside the coop. Everyday I let my chickens out of their coop to explore the garden and they always return.
    I'm just wonderong..

Is pekin the best breed? If not what is?
    Is it ok that the pond is outside the coop and if yes, will the ducks return at night?
    what age do the ducks have to be before I don't have to supervise them around the pond?
    And last how long should I separate the ducks from the chickens before their introduced?

Please help!

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well people do mix them, i prefer not to house mine together, they do free range together however and my standard chickens adore messing about the duck area, frankly, they are not useful housekeepers, they toss half my duck barns bedding out the door. [​IMG]

Main issue with ducks vs chickens is the water and the mess... ducks need and love water, chickens need water but only to drink.. so it is not all over, nor is it muddy.

Also it is worthwhile stating, some drakes will mate with hens(chickens) which is dangerous and can cause death. So far my drakes ignore my hens but they have ladies of their own, but still worth a mention.

As for returning, tricky the lure of a pond will likely keep them there. my ducks return to their pen by dusk, but i keep all pools and feed in this area to draw them back. ducks don't come home to roost like chickens do and usually require some encouragement to be brought in.

I don't own pekin, they are popular.. you can search for threads, to ask owners and read real experiences. Ducks should be a few months before being left on their with a pool...i wouldn't be comfy till at least two months because there wouldn't be any other ducks to guide them.

Chickens like to peck, and that can hurt a young duckling, i like to practice a see and talk approach, where i leave new/young birds penned so the flock can get to meet them but not harm them.

I would also suggest this sticky, raising ducklings so you know what is needed, i also like Storey's guide to ducks... it's a useful reference.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

[​IMG]

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I have no chickens, only ducks. @Going Quackers has given you excellent advice all the way around. Only thing I can add is that I used to have Pekins, they were great layers and mothers, and probly the most intelligent of all my birds. The only thing is that keeping Pekins beyond 9 or 10'weeks is not very efficient, in terms of feed. They eat A LOT. Plus the breed has been bred in terms of that timeframe, so many older birds tend to develop foot and leg issues down the line. Mine never really did tho. They just ate so much that I couldn't keep up financially. But I really miss those Old Ladies.

4. HorsesRule

HorsesRule New Egg

Jan 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by