Chickens and ducks together and the risks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stoney22, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    someone mentioned that chickens can give ducks diseases but on this same website but in another forum post on keeping ducks and chickens together most people said it was fun except for the occasional bullying. i cant find anywhere of chickens passing diseases on to ducks thought im sure it can happen and what are the risks? i currently have 4 mallards, 2 cayugas, a pekin and a bluie swedish with 2 NH reds and 2 chicks that are almost ready to join the bunch so in total i will probably have 4 chickens and 8 ducks in a 30x30 run. it is muddy by the water but not to bad, will this breed disease? and if i have 8 ducks and 6 hens is that to much and will disease spread, i notice no bullying and they have been together since almost day one and huddle on the floor to sleep together at night. the ducks are almost 2 months and the chickens around 1.5 months.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You may be talking about blackhead. This disease may be spread when chickens and turkeys live together. As far as ducks and chickens together, they will be ok . Will be a little messy. Just make sure you keep the water and environment clean.

3. quinkerton

quinkerton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    North Bennington
    I just posted a thread on here yesterday. I have 2 pekings, and about 30 hens. The pekings are about a year now and have all of a sudden started mounting my hens and really hurting them. They hold them down, and rip at their head. My chickens look terrible and are scared. I am currently looking for a new home for the ducks. I have had no problem with disease, just torment.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Awwwww, sorry to hear that. Poor chickens. [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 40 chickens and 5 ducks. They get along fine and havent had any problems with sickness, but when I had Drakes they would try to mate with my chickens even though they had enough girls so they got new homes. Actually the older drake would the young ones were toi young to do anything yet.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

for me it's the other way around.. the roosters mount the ducks.. even though I do have a drake [​IMG]

never any problem with sickness or disease.. though the ducks are quite a bit messier than the chickens when it comes to making a mess with their water pans

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to rehome my big Pekin drake,he nearly killed one of my hens.broke her leg mounting her.....funny,it was only my welsummers,he would not go near any others..... so now he lives on a duck only farm ! miss him though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by