chickens and ducks together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jennic, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jennic

jennic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    indiana
    I just recently got 5 ducks, can i keep my ducks in the coop with the chickens? also can i let the ducks roam free and will they go back to the coop like the chickens do? New to ducks, thanks for all the help.

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Here's another posting on it, has some good suggestions and as you can tell some people are opposed to it and some have done it without problems.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4737&p=1

I'm planning on keeping mine together for the first few weeks in the brooder but then will probably seperate them and they will have a divided off area in the coop as well. I will herd them in each night as they will free range during the day.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Yes you can keep them in the coop as long as there is enough room. be aware that there might be 'flock fights' chickens vs ducks.
    You have heard the expression "when the chickens come home to roost" in other words chickens are pleased to have a place where they can roost together at night so they tend to come to that place naturally in the evening. Most ducks don't roost (Muscovy will) so they have to be trained. If you give them their feed near there in the evening it will be easier to herd them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by