1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Ducks together?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickschool, Apr 15, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    A friend gave me 4 fertile chicken eggs and 1 fertile duck egg to place under my broody hen. Can you hatch duck and chicks at the same time?

2. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Chicken eggs take 21 days, duck eggs take 28 days. So you can hatch them together, but you'd have to start the duck eggs 7 days before the chicken eggs to have the same hatch date.

3. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I thought that might be the case. I've also read that the duck eggs require more humidity so I should spray them with lukewarm water once a day. Is that really necessary and will it bother the chicken eggs?

4. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I've heard that, but I'm on my first hatch so I don't know a lot about it!! I'm hatching duck and chicken eggs together in my incubator, their hatch date is tomorrow and so far all of my duck eggs are rocking and on has pipped, and I never misted them with water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by