Chickens and ducks together

BROOKE C

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2015
Hi, I have 9 hens that are about 4 years old and I was thinking of getting some Peking ducks. Would they get along? Also I live in Michigan and we get some brutal winters, how do ducks do in the cold?
I was also thinking about just getting some chicks, how would they get along with my grown chickens and how do I introduce them?
Thanks so much

I would not mix Peking ducks with any chickens. The males are the most aggressive maters I have ever had. I have read many many threads about male duck having killed laying chickens trying to mate with them.

If you want the ducks they should be in a different pen IMO.
Ducks will try to sleep outside whether it is bitterly cold or not. You would need a warm dry place to keep them in the worst parts of the winter. I used to run mine into the barn and keep them there for weeks on end in the winter with added heat. I had Peking, Cayuga, and Swedish blue, The Peking drakes were awful to the hens. VERY pushy and down right mean to the other drakes.

Lots of threads on integrating chicks.

I have a pekin with my hens and they get along great. I would like to think she is the leader of there flock. No issues for over a year now. Also have rabbits in there too. All get along!

I have a pekin with my hens and they get along great. I would like to think she is the leader of there flock. No issues for over a year now. Also have rabbits in there too. All get along!
female ducks and chickens can co exist but drakes are an entirely different matter.Unless they all free range and the drake has alot of females like 4 females to 1 drake that may keep him from wanting to mate with the hens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom