Chickens and Ducks????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chad the Chicken Man, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    Hey guys I rescued a hen mallard from a guys that trades his dogs with them, and i have her down in my pond and ive been trying to find a buddy for her with no luck, so my question is can i but the hen mallard with my chickens? I have 16 chickens in a 8x8 coop. the chickens are around 15 weeks old. please let me know because im worried about winter and the duck being all lonley down there by her self!!! Thanks!!!

2. misshelly

misshelly New Egg

Nov 23, 2009
    I had my 6 ducks with my 21 chickens for winter and the ducks are really dirty and they made the coop filthy quick. There was no problem with them together, they all go along. It's just alot of cleaning.[​IMG]

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have my ducks/geese and chickens all together in the coop. The ducks/geese are more messy with the water, I have my waterer elevated on an old tire rim and that sits inside a bigger tub so it catches alot of the excess water.

4. Chad the Chicken Man

Chad the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Belleville, WI
    Ok well i caught the mallard out of the pond tonight and its in a wire dog kennel inside the coop, im going to keep her in there for like a week till they all get to know each other. should i put the poultry powder on the duck for lice and mites? and my other question is how messy is one duck? i just got rid of 4 chickens making my chicken total 16. Is one duck as messy as the 4 chickens i just got rid of?

5. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I've got 10 chickens, 5 ducks, 3 peafowl, and 4 guineas all "free ranging" together happily in a 40X150 ft. fenced in area. We finished the fence and moved everyone in on Saturday. So far, so good. The ducks and guineas are even going into the chicken coop! So is my dumb kitten, darn chickens love the cat. :lol

6. spinweaver

spinweaver New Egg

Oct 15, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I got my two White Rock hens and my Kahki Campbell duck on the same day in July when they were all just bitty babies. They have lived together all their lives. When you keep chickens and ducks together, you can't use the usual chicken feeder and waterer because the duck can't get his mouth in there~ the "dishes" need to be wide open. Ducks need water to eat, and they do make a mess but if you put the water bowl inside a larger container such as a galvanized turkey roaster pan, it's not bad. I'm using the deep litter method and will change out wet litter about twice a month- no big deal. The duck eats the chicken "maintenance" crumble plus some sort of greens every day. I just threw out a bunch of collard and mustard green seeds in one area of the garden and it grows without much input. One thing- if you have a male duck with the hens, I've heard he may drown a hen in attempting to mate. I have taken the little pond out of the run, now that I know the duck is male. He can swim on the decorative pond when he's out freeranging, under supervision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by