Chickens and DUcks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by everecar, Jan 10, 2010.

1. everecar

everecar New Egg

Jan 4, 2010
    Hi I have kept chickens for 7 years now but never kept ducks. I am getting more chicks (I buy them as day olds) and had often thought about getting ducks so have a few questions.

I have water everywhere (about 4 acres) so I am assuming I can just let them out to free range with my chickens. I assume they will just go swimming with the wild mallards, teals, coots & everyone else - could this be a problem? Are they likely to fly off with thier new wild friends!

I was thinking of Kaki Campbels as these appear to be the best at going back into the coop & laying eggs.

Can I rear chicken & duck chicks together or will I find one stronger & pick on the others? (I could always set up a spare brooder just in case but thought it would be good if they grew up together or is this a really dumb idea)

Can the ducks live in the same coop or do I need to build a new one?

Thanks

Caroline

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Caroline
    I dont know about khakis but i have rouen mallards and reg mallards that live with my chickens
    Any of the runner or rouen breeds cant fly far
    So they wont fly away.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    My khakis lived with my chickens... my rooster was a pain, so he did attack my duck a few times...

4. everecar

everecar New Egg

Jan 4, 2010
    I don't have a rooster so that should help!

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Then you should be fine!!! [​IMG] I always brood my ducks and chicks together... they have yet to stomp my chicks to death. But here in arizona i am harsher on my ducklings and i put them outside with a heat lamp earlier than the rest.... about 2 weeks i do it. The chicks are determined by size. To each their own! Good luck!!!!! [​IMG]

6. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Brooding chicks and ducklings can be frustrating .. ducklings are VERY messy .... it is really much better for both if they are separate. As adults, they can free range together. Ours have a pond they spend most of their time on, though they have access to our barn on cold nights. They do lay most of the eggs in the barn. Predators are the biggest problem. There is a reason for the saying 'sitting duck.' And, no, domestic ducks can't fly away, but may range quite far.

7. everecar

everecar New Egg

Jan 4, 2010
    BellLisamo do you brood your ducklings & chicks together then put the ducklings out early, followed by the chicks later?
    I put my chicks out at 5 weeks with a heat lamp in the coop. The coop is big with a window so they start to get used to the old girls then a few weeks later I cut a small flap out of the bottom so the pullets can run out but get back away from the old girls so they learn the pecking order but have a safe haven. Works for chicks but I don't know about ducks.

Caroline

8. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Yes, the ducks go out earlier, because they grow so fast! But i do have them in a fully enclosed coop with a heat lamp. As for my chicks... I have a brooder outside for them, at about 3 weeks I put them in the outside brooder. When they outgrow that, they go in with the ducks. [​IMG]

When its warmer outside, my chicks go outside sooner.... like about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.... BUT REMEMBER I LIVE IN ARIZONA!!!

9. everecar

everecar New Egg

Jan 4, 2010
    And I assume they don't have problem mixing again?

As for 1.5 weeks - I do live in the UK!! Athough this year I did think about a brooder in the greenhouse. When they get to a couple of weeks they make such a mess with the dust & fluff given off!

Maybe I will put a brooder inside with both in then move the ducks to the greenhouse earlier before they make too much mess for the chicks. Followed by the chicks later. I might build a bigger brooder so they have more space. I am only planning about 6 of each.

Caroline

10. everecar

everecar New Egg

Jan 4, 2010
    4 Weeks to wait [​IMG]

6 Loman Brown chicks (hybrids same as I always get that have always been really friendly & superb layers) and 3 Khaki Cambell chicks ordered! The guy I get them from is really helpfull & will put them in the incubator for me tomorrow. He can sex the ducks as day old so I don't have that worry. He also said they would be fine together for the first week then put a barrier between the 2 so the ducks don't mess up the chicks area and they don't need as much heat so exactly as you guys said.

I can't wait [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by