Chickens and ducks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by can't get enough chicken, Jan 9, 2011.

1. can't get enough chicken

can't get enough chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    I was wondering if chickens and ducks would get along?

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    yep, I have a pen that has chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys in it, they can come and go as they please, but they all go in the same pen at nite.

3. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    and they all get along fine? What if i introduced the ducks to the chickens when they are full grown?

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I forgot to say that pea cocks and guineas are in that pen also, some are keep in the same pen all day and some go out and free range but they all come back to that pen at nite.

There is some pecking done, but I have not had any problems with this pen set up.

I dont see any problem when you introduce them to them. Just keep watch and see how things go. If they never been around one or the other, there maybe some pecking, but I think you will be fine. Good luck

5. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Let the chickens meet the duck in a cage then slowly let them meet for a few hours a day they should get along fine

6. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    Haha Thanks so much for your help![​IMG]

7. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    That would work also. I dont have the time for that myself.

8. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    One thing to think about is that ducks are so much messier with water. I keep my ducks water outside in their pen and the chickens water inside their pen.

9. can't get enough chicken

Jun 30, 2010
    okay I will keep in mind! [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Until recently, I only had a Cayuga pair (drake and hen) with my flock of chickens. They all get along fine. Occasionally a duck will pull at a chicken's feathers to get it out of its way when treats are being offered. When the ducks were younger, they billed the chickens a LOT, but they've outgrown that habit.

Now I have four call ducklings, now fully feathered, in a little segregation/integration house and pen. This weekend I'm going to let them out to mingle, and keep an eye on them to see how it goes. All the chickens and the Cayuga pair have checked 'em out in their pen, which I have on the back porch.

I do keep several waterers around so the ducks have deeper water in which to drink and clear their nares, and a kiddie pool where they can splash. The chickens perch on the sides of the pool to take drinks.

The ducks used to sleep in the main chicken coop, but they decided at some point they didn't want to go to bed as early as the chickens do, and the coop has an automatic door. So now the ducks patrol the yard and sleep in various places.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by