1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and ducks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken995, Mar 21, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    My chicken coop and run is quite a ways away from being finished and that has given my wife time to think. And that usually spells trouble for me. lol. She is thinking it might be fun to have some ducks along with some chickens. So, can ducks and chickens be kept together, or is this something that is not recommended?

If they can live together then...

...can they eat the same food? I've heard they eat different food as chicks/ducklings, but that they can eat the same food as adults.

...how much water do ducks need? While a small rubbermaid storage tub suffice if supplemented with occasional trips to a bigger pool/pond?

...is there any type of duck that doesn't really care for water?

...is there any type of duck that gets along with chickens best?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:I hope this helps. Good luck.

3. 4hens

4hens New Egg

Feb 4, 2009
    Long Island.N.Y.
    Get your chickens up and running.......if it's a few Bantam size hens you'll find (food/water/backyard free range) a simple inexpensive routine...relaxing....now introduce a duck !!! I did (duck rescue)....they need water to eat and mulch their food up slinging it every where,water to splash in and foul up....chickens kept thier own distance no probs between the two...it was the mess and up keep....every day..don't recomend. good luck, Long Island

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by