Chickens and ducks?

animalpro24

Songster
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Oregon
We have some friends that are moving, but they are leaving their chickens with the owners of the house. They rented. They don't want to burden the owners with 18 eggs a day. We might take a few of them. We have a large(I mean large) coop. One door to the covered area and to the duck pen. And another door that we used when we had chickens that goes to a small chicken pen (about 4x10) If we got a few chickens from them would it be okay if we let the chickens be with the ducks during the night. We would separate them during the day between the two pens.(ducks and chickens)

So my question is: would be okay if 7 full grown ducks, one male, could sleep with 4 or 5 full grown female chickens in one BIG coop.
Also how would we introduce the chickens to the ducks?

Thanks! ~ Animalpro

I couldn't with mine because I have a drake that decided to pick on this one chicken in particular. He grabs her wings and pulls at her REAL bad. But what I did was in the run, I set up a little fence about 18" high so the chickens could fly over, but the ducks couldn't.
That being said, I have had ducks in the past that thought they WERE chickens and didn't want to be anywhere without them. LOL.

Just thought I'd share my experience with my anti-chicken drake.

i seperated mine only becuze my ducks picked on my chickens really bad like so bad they have no tails
sad.png

and not only that but they are MESSSSSYYYY!!! wow they are messy. water everywhere never could keep the chickens water dish full because they always played in it..

My chickens and ducks were raised together from babies, and they've always gotten along really well. I think that's the key, for them to be raised together. I think it's harder when you try to mix adults together.

I won't put food in with them at night. If we get some I'm gonna see how they act with each other and if they're ok then their ok. Well see.......

My ducks and chickens sleep in the same pen every night.

They all have their own little "spot" to sleep. They don't seem to pay any attention to each other. (the chickens and ducks)

Back
Top Bottom