Chickens and Ducks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Barn Mama, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Barn Mama

Barn Mama Out Of The Brooder

Hi everyone, this may be an odd question but can I have chickens and ducks live together in the same coop?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep.
    Feed an all-in-one type feed.
    Have some water pool for the ducks to splash in or they'll drain your gravity type waterer.
    Watch out for the occasional aggressive drake. He can hurt your hens.
    My ducks prefer sleeping out in the run vs in the coop.

3. Barn Mama

Now, could my chickens drown in the duck pond?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It is a possibility, if your chickens are very young still. It's happened before. Make sure you put something in there for them to step on if they do fall in accidentally.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've lost young birds in a horse trough, never in our pond. they have decent self-preservation. I'd just keep a board or rock or something, depending on your set-up, to allow a chicken to pull themselves out if they do happen to fall in.

6. RileyB

RileyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    NH
    I keep ducks and chickens together. The only thing I noticed is how messy the ducks can be. I solved this by making sure they only get water outside the coop or in the run. Ducks can make a mess out of anything with water! :)
    But my chickens and ducks get along great. The ducks sleep on the floor while the chickens roost. During the day they are all together and the best of friends. As someone else mentioned, the drake can get aggressive towards the hens. But I've found that they can get away from him and roost without issue.

7. Barn Mama

Great advice you guys....thanks that helps alot!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by