1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chickens and ducks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by darajosami, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Can you house ducks and chickens together? I would love ducks but only have one coop.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'm not 100% on this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere in at the forum that it is not advisable to house ducks and chickens together...if I come across anything definitive I'll post here for you.

3. sex links

sex links In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    waxahachie, Texas
    As long as don't have a drake with hens/chickens u should be fine

4. Well I would love to breed chickens and ducks so I will need a new pen for the ducks.

Another question, I free range my chickens and want to do the same with my ducks. I have 4 acres but does that mean I need to have separate runs for both?

5. donnavee

donnavee Songster 9 Years

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I think it depends on their personality. We have chickens and after a couple of years got ducks. We don't house them together, but they do free range together during the day with no problems. We also have 2 drakes, a Magpie & a Cayuga and they have never looked twice at our hens, except to get out of the way. The hens rule over our ducks - possibly because we had them first.

1 person likes this.
  6. sex links

sex links In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    waxahachie, Texas
    The reason why u don't want to have a drake with hens is because they have a different reproduction systems and if they try to mate it could hurt the hen u could have females with the drakes and they might not try it because they have there own females

7. So is that a not advisable for free ranging them together?

8. sex links

sex links In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    waxahachie, Texas
    As long as u have female ducks while there free rangeing I wouldn't worry to much

9. J at Yoti Farms

J at Yoti Farms In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Wanamaker, IN
    We have 4 ducks and our 40 chickens together and they are fine. The ducks rule here. They were bought at the same time, 3 days old, and now at 4 months the chickens still follow the ducks around the yard.

10. sex links

sex links In the Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    waxahachie, Texas

There all drakes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: