1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens and english ivy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by phishinchicken, Jan 25, 2009.

1. phishinchicken

phishinchicken On Vacation

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    we have a lot of ivy in a natural area on the back of our property. i am thinking of building our coop in this natural area over top of the ivy. i know over time there will no longer by ivy there and that is fine with me. my question is, should i remove all the ivy before introducing the chickens or should i just leave the removing to the chickens? can/will they even eat ivy?

2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My chickens don't touch the ivy in our yard. They do eat the raspberry plants though [​IMG]

3. phishinchicken

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    so it won't make them sick or anything? i guess i could take a weed trimmer to it and get it down to the ground. i just could not find anything on the subject.

4. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    They typically won't eat toxic plants (they tend to be bitter). I was worried in the summer when the B's were eating the potato plants, leaves only. Potatoes do contain toxins, but they were fine. Observation is key first, watch what they snack on and if they are affected. Also, ivy leaves are tougher than what they like, so that is also a deterrent.[​IMG] Chill, but be mindful [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  5. phishinchicken

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    i am really hoping that they can pick the heck out of it so it wont come back.

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    English ivy can cause a lot of problems with their intestinal tract. Also causes dermatitus, I'd get rid of it first. Jean

7. phishinchicken

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    i don't think i can rid it 100%. should i reconsider my location?

8. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    My chickens have done well with the English Ivy in my back yard. They ignore it when there are other green plants around. In the middle of winter they will eat at it because it and the honeysuckle are the only green things around. I have observed no ill effects, but there isn't that much of it around, and they get plenty of feed.

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I don't find English Ivy (Hedera helix) on several toxic plant lists but here is what Purdue University, Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets has to say about it:

"TOXICITY RATING: Low. Although reported to be very toxic in a few scattered reports, this is not a frequently encountered toxicosis.

ANIMALS AFFECTED: Cats, dogs, birds, other pets."

I really don't think chickens should be right on top of it and expecting them to eradicate it doesn't look, at all, like a good idea.

Steve

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by