chickens and eyedrops

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by austinhart123, Jul 11, 2008.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    is it safe to give chickens eye drops....just the moisturising ones?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you want to wash the smoke out of the eyes, I would say no. I have a couple of hens that the smoke is bothering their eyes and I am washing them out with plain water. The only time I put anything else in the eyes is if the vet gives it to me.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Normal saline solution shouldn't hurt them at all. I wouldn't try to "Get the red out" or anything! [​IMG]

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    there eyes get shut with mucus
    its called complete moisture plus. it is AMO brand.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Water is nature's best wash.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Dunno about chickens but human and mammal eyes aren't plain water. Washing your eyes or contacts with plain water every day would actually irritate them. Especially if your using tapwater. You could even end up with an eye infection using plain tapwater frequently. Regular saline would be better. I always keep a bottle of cheap plain contact solution around so I can squirt out irritated or potentially injured eyes. Especially useful when the horses get bits of hay jammed in their eye or bug bites right near the edge.

I just asked my sister that question. What happens if you wash your eyes daily with tapwater? Her answer was "bad things". If you wear contacts you know saline solution is what you need.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep, its called concentration gradient, folks! We are, and animals, 98% salt water. That's why it is mildly irritating to get water in your eyes...actually "dries" out, or thins down, the content of your natural tears. Decreases the lubricating effect. You can buy sterile saline solution in bottles at any pharmacy or you can buy the rewetting solution for contacts. Baby oil will help decrease the matting around their eyes, just lightly swab some on the lids....lightly! Don't want to clog that tear duct!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by