Chickens and ferrets

Star and eclipsa

Songster
Nov 3, 2017
Clermont, Florida
I was just wondering if ferrets and chickens can hang out near eachother sometimes. I got 20 dollars for helping my grandma's co-workers yesterday when she brought me with her to work. I did the math and if i go with her to help out for ten days i would have 200 dollars, which is plenty to buy a fetret and food for it. So i might be getting a ferret soon and i need to know if it will kill my chickens.

I didnt think they would be good together, but i was kind of hoping they would. The chickens stay outside except at night when they sleep on a towel by my bed, and the ferret will be in its cage at night so i dont think the ferret will ever be near them without a cage in between it and the chickens.

Given the chance it would probably enjoy your chickens. You do know that ferrets tend to have a strong odor ?

They would probably try and kill your chickens, but i'm not sure how successful they would be. I have two ferrets in my room with my pigeons and let them both out at the same time and the only thing the ferrets ever do is run at the pigeons so they fly up. I would recommend getting a pair of ferrets, as they are very social animals and will look to you to play with them if they don't have a friend. They also need lots of out of cage time, four hours DAILY is recommended.

My moms ex boyfriend used to have an adorable ferret named miko and he didnt smell too bad, but then again my sense of smell has never been very good, so the smell wouldnt bother me but probably my sister, who has the nose of a bloodhound.

Ive never owned a ferret but they are a over grown weasle like people have stated above, however they could act like the skunk we had, he never ate the chickens but he ate the eggs.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Ferrets are actually quite vicious hunters. Ever watch a nature documentary? Just like another poster said, they are in the weasel family. In no way, shape, or form would I put the ferret cage NEXT to a chicken. Temptation for the ferret (if it's hunter instinct kicks in) and fear for the chicken can have a serious impact on laying.

Think about what you really want. Getting an animal just to have another animal might not be as fun as it sounds. How do I know?! :oops:

If you do get bunny, they should be way cheaper than a ferret. I see people selling them all day long every day. And bunnies can be potty trained to a litter box if you want them free range indoors.

Good for you for working to earn what you want! :thumbsup

Best wishes with whatever you decide! :fl

Back
Top Bottom